The effect of local heat therapy on fatigue among patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A randomized controlled clinical trial
Background & Aim: Fatigue is one of the most prevalent symptoms among people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Heat therapy is considered as one of the proposed methods to relieve the symptoms in these patients. Therefore, the aim of this study was to determine the effect of local heat therapy on fatigue among patients with COPD.
Methods & Materials: This randomized controlled clinical trial study was conducted on 46 patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease referred to Allameh Bohlool Hospital in Gonabad, Iran in 2019. The participants were selected according to the inclusion criteria and were then randomly assigned to the two groups of intervention and placebo. Local packs were placed on the anterior of the chest twice a day for 23 minutes and for five days among the participants of both groups. The hot pack was 50ºC for the patients in the intervention group, but it was equal to body temperature in the placebo group. The severity of fatigue was once measured before the intervention and then one day after the final intervention in both groups. The demographic information form and Krupp fatigue severity scale were used to collect the data. Descriptive statistics and chi-square, Mann-Whitney, and Wilcoxon tests were used to analyze the data. Besides, the level of significance was considered at least 0.05.
Results: The results indicated that the two groups were homogenous in terms of demographic information and the type of disease (P>0.05). There was no statistically significant difference between the mean score of fatigue before the intervention in the experimental and placebo groups (P=0.9). However, the mean score of fatigue decreased significantly among the intervention group patients compared to those in the placebo group (P<0.001) after the intervention. There was also a significant difference between the two groups in the mean score of fatigue before and after the intervention (P<0.01).
Conclusion: According to the results, topical heat therapy is effective in reducing fatigue among patients with COPD, but it is recommended to conduct further studies before the implementation of this approach.
2. Chegeni PS, Gholami M, Azargoon A, Pour AHH, Birjandi M, Norollahi H. The effect of progressive muscle relaxation on the management of fatigue and quality of sleep in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Complementary therapies in clinical practice. 2018;31:64-70.
3. Heidari M, Fayazi S, Birsi Sh, Moradbeygi K, Akbarinassaji N, Skandari Sabzi H. Relationship between self-efficacy and clinical status indexes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Nursing and midwifery journal. 2016;14(3):233-41.
4. Celli BR, Decramer M, Wedzicha JA, Wilson KC, Agustí A, Criner GJ, et al. An official american thoracic society/european respiratory society statement: research questions in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. 2015;191(7):e4-e27.
5. Goërtz YM, Looijmans M, Prins JB, Janssen DJ, Thong MS, Peters JB, et al. Fatigue in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: protocol of the Dutch multicentre, longitudinal, observational FAntasTIGUE study. BMJ open. 2018;8(4):e021745.
6. Jokar Z, Mohammadi F, Khankeh HR, Fallah Tafti S. Effect of home-based pulmonary rehabilitation on fatigue in patients with COPD. Journal of hayat. 2013;18(5):64-72.
7. AbedI B, AhmadI Z, Moradi M. Effect of Breathing exercises on lung volumes and fatigue in chemical victim. Iranian journal of war and public health. 2016;8(3):127-33.
8. Kentson M, Tödt K, Skargren E, Jakobsson P, Ernerudh J, Unosson M, et al. Factors associated with experience of fatigue, and functional limitations due to fatigue in patients with stable COPD. Therapeutic advances in respiratory disease. 2016;10(5):410-24.
9. Antoniu SA, Petrescu E, Stanescu R, Anisie E, Boiculese L. Impact of fatigue in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: results from an exploratory study. Therapeutic advances in respiratory disease. 2016;10(1):26-33.
10. Goërtz YM, Spruit MA, Van ‘t Hul AJ, Peters JB, Van Herck M, Nakken N, et al. Fatigue is highly prevalent in patients with COPD and correlates poorly with the degree of airflow limitation. Therapeutic advances in respiratory disease. 2019;13:1753466619878128.
11. Spruit MA, Vercoulen JH, Sprangers MA, Wouters EF. Fatigue in COPD: an important yet ignored symptom. The lancet respiratory medicine. 2017;5(7):542-4.
12. Najafi Mehri S, Pashandi S, Mahmoodi H, Ebadi A, Ghanei M. Assessment of fatigue and spirometery parameters in chemical war victims with respiratory disease. Iranian journal of war and public health. 2010;2(4):29-35.
13. Keyhanmanesh R, Ahmadi M, Jeddy S, Bagban H, Mirzaei Bavil F, Alipour MR, et al. Effect of vitamin C on tracheal responsiveness and pulmonary inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease model of guinea pig. Physiology and pharmacology. 2013;17(1):101-15.
14. Mousavi MA, Alikhani M. Procedures in clinical assessment. Tehran: shahrab ayande sazan; 2014.p.458-67
15. Parimo M, Mohammadpour A, Nagafi S, Bazeli J. The Effect of topical heat therapy on Clinical symptoms of peripheral neuropathy in patients with type II diabetes [MSc.thesis]: school of Nursing, Gonabad University of Medical Sciences , Iran; 2018.
16. Sadeghian S, Mohammadpour A, M. S. The effect of topical heat therapy on function of the gastrointestinal tract in patient bing fed trough nasogastric tube [MSc.thesis]: school of Nursing, Gonabad University of Medical Sciences, Iran; 2016.
17. Mohammadian B, Mohammadpour A, Nematollahi MR, Jamiati E. The effects of local heat therapy in the posterior part of chest on physiologic parameters in the patients with acute coronary syndrome: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Scientific journal of kurdistan university of medical sciences. 2017;22(1):72-81.
18. Kunutsor SK, Laukkanen T, Laukkanen JA. Sauna bathing reduces the risk of respiratory diseases: a long-term prospective cohort study. European journal of epidemiology. 2017;32(12):1107-11.
19. Kikuchi H, Shiozawa N, Takata S, Ashida K, Mitsunobu F. Effect of repeated waon therapy on exercise tolerance and pulmonary function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a pilot controlled clinical trial. International journal of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. 2014;9:9.
20. Soejima Y, Munemoto T, Masuda A, Uwatoko Y, Miyata M, Tei C. Effects of waon therapy on chronic fatigue syndrome: a pilot study. Internal medicine. 2015;54(3):333-8.
21. Kim K, Reid BA, Casey CA, Bender BE, Ro B, Song Q, et al. Effects of repeated local heat therapy on skeletal muscle structure and function in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2020;128(3):483-92.
22. Economou N-T, Ilias I, Velentza L, Papachatzakis Y, Zarogoulidis P, Kallianos A, et al. Sleepiness, fatigue, anxiety and depression in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive sleep apnea–overlap–syndrome, before and after continuous positive airways pressure therapy. PloS one. 2018;13(6).
23. Sawatari H, Nishizaka MK, Miyazono M, Ando S-i, Inoue S, Takemoto M, et al. Three nights leg thermal therapy could improve sleep quality in patients with chronic heart failure. Heart and vessels. 2018;33(2):155-62.
24. Sadeghian S, Mohammadpour A, Salari M. The effect of local heat therapy on gastric residual volume and abdominal distention in patients with nasogastric tube feeding: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Hayat. 2019;25(1):39-55.
25. Tajvidi M, Arash M, Parsinia M, Babaee G. Assessing the effects of nutritional guideline education on spirometric tests in patients with COPD. Iranian journal of nursing research. 2010;4(15):53-9. eng.
26. Mete B, Pehlivan E, Gülbaş G, Günen H. Prevalence of malnutrition in COPD and its relationship with the parameters related to disease severity. International journal of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. 2018;13:3307.
27. Zarea K, Nikbakht-Nasrabadi A, Abbaszadeh A, Mohammadpour A. Psychiatric nursing as `different` care: Experience of Iranian mental health nurses in inpatient psychiatric wards. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2013; 20(2):124-133.
28. Mohammadpour A, Mohammadian B, Basiri Moghadam M, Nematollahi MR. The effect of local heat therapy on physiologic parameters of patients with acute coronary syndrome: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Iranian journal of critical care nursing. 2014;77(2):74-83.
29. Beever R. The effects of repeated thermal therapy on quality of life in patients with type II diabetes mellitus. The Journal of alternative and complementary medicine. 2010;16(6):677-81.
30. Aghamohammadi M, Abazari M. Factors affecting fatigue in patients with type ii diabetes mellitus referring to ardabil diabetes clinic. Journal of health and care. 2019;20(4):280-91.
|Issue||Vol 8 No 2 (2021): Spring|
|chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; topical heat therapy; fatigue|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|