Comparison of the effectiveness of Aloe Vera gel with 2% Nitrofurazone ointment on the healing of superficial partial-thickness burns: A randomized clinical trial study
Background & Aim: Routine treatment of burn injuries is dressing with Nitrofurazone ointment. It has several complications including sensitivity. Aloe vera is a traditional treatment for wound healing. This study aimed to compare the effectiveness of Aloe Vera gel with Nitrofurazone ointment in the healing of superficial partial-thickness burns.
Methods & Materials: The present study was a split body controlled clinical trial which was carried out on 30 patients with superficial partial-thickness burns. The study was conducted in the Shafa Hospital in Kerman, Iran in 2016. The sample was recruited from patients who had at least two burns, each burn on an alternate side of the body. Samples were allocated to two groups that received Aloe Vera gel or 2% Nitrofurazone ointment on their burns. Bates-Jensen Wound assessment tool was used to evaluate the healing of burns. Statistical analysis was conducted by SPSS-16 and using the repeated measure ANOVA.
Results: The repeated measure ANOVA showed that there was a significant change in the score of BWAT in all areas during the intervention period ( p=0.001), but The trend of healing in the two groups during the intervention period was not significantly different( p=0.098).
Conclusion: Based on this study it looks like Aloe vera gel is as effective as 2% Nitrofurazon ointment in healing wounds.
2. Bano I, Arshad M, Yasin T, Ghauri MA. Preparation, characterization, and evaluation of glycerol plasticized chitosan/PVA blends for burn wounds. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2019 Mar 1;124:155-62.
3. Noronha C, Almeida A. Local burn treatment-topical antimicrobial agents. Annals of Burns and Fire Disasters. 2000;13(4):216-9.
4. Bajaj AK, Gupta SC. Contact hypersensitivity to topical antibacterial agents. International journal of dermatology. 1986 Mar;25(2):103-5.
5. Bilgili SG, Ozaydin-Yavuz G, Yavuz IH, Bilgili MA, Karadag ASJAiD, Alergologii APDi. Cutaneous reactions caused by nitrofurazone. 2019;36(4):398.
6. Yilmaz S, Saydam M, Seven EJP, surgery r. Is Nitrofurazone a potent sensitizer in surgical patients? 2004;114(3):823-4.
7. Gehrig KA, Warshaw EMJJotAAoD. Allergic contact dermatitis to topical antibiotics: epidemiology, responsible allergens, and management. 2008;58(1):1-21.
8. Srikanth K, Kartikeyan S, Kalla AM. Storage studies of Aloe vera juice incorporated Peda. International Journal of Food and Fermentation Technology. 2017;7(2):231-9.
9. Oryan A, Mohammadalipour A, Moshiri A, Tabandeh MR. Topical application of Aloe vera accelerated wound healing, modeling, and remodeling: an experimental study. Annals of plastic surgery. 2016;77(1):37-46.
10. Benson KF, Newman RA, Jensen GS. Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-apoptotic, and skin regenerative properties of an Aloe vera-based extract of Nerium oleander leaves (NAE-8®). Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2015;8:239.
11. Paul S, Dutta S, Chaudhuri TK, Bhattacharjee S. Anti-inflammatory and protective properties of Aloe vera leaf crude gel in carrageenan induced acute inflammatory rat models. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2014;6(9):368-71.
12. Poletti S, Lucke LD, Acunha R, Mattos M, Gaspi F. Electromagnetic stimulation combined with aloe vera increases collagen reorganization in burn repair. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2018;6(7):633-46.
13. Greenhalgh DG, Saffle JR, Holmes JH 4th, Gamelli RL, Palmieri TL, Horton JW, et al. American Burn Association Consensus Conference on Burn Sepsis and Infection Group. American Burn Association consensus conference to define sepsis and infection in burns. J Burn Care Res. 2007 Nov-Dec;28(6):776-90. d
14. Sarpooshi HR, Mortazavi F, Vaheb M, Tabarayee Y. The Effects of Topical Vitamin C Solution on Burn Wounds Granulation: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Biomed In Press (In Press) E. 2016;8301:1-5.
15. Harris C, Bates-Jensen B, Parslow N, Raizman R, Singh M, Ketchen R. Bates-Jensen wound assessment tool: pictorial guide validation project. Journal of Wound Ostomy & Continence Nursing. 2010;37(3):253-9.
16. Alves DFdS, Almeida AOd, Silva JLG, Morais FI, Dantas SRPE, Alexandre NMC. Translation and adaptation of the Bates-Jensen wound assessment tool for the Brazilian culture. Texto & Contexto-Enfermagem. 2015;24(3):826-33.
17. Ghaffarzadegan R, Alizadeh SA, Ghaffarzadegan R, Haji Agaei R, Ahmadlou M. Effect of aloe vera gel, compared to 1% silver sulfadiazine cream on second-degree burn wound healing. Complementary Medicine Journal. 2013;3(1):418-28.
18. Moghbel A, Ghalambor A, Allipanah S. Wound healing and toxicity evaluation of Aloe vera cream on outpatients with second degree burns. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2007;3(3):157-60.
19. Eshghi F, Hosseinimehr SJ, Rahmani N, Khademloo M, Norozi MS, Hojati O. Effects of Aloe vera cream on posthemorrhoidectomy pain and wound healing: results of a randomized, blind, placebo-control study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2010;16(6):647-50.
20. Burusapat C, Supawan M, Pruksapong C, Pitiseree A, Suwantemee C. Topical Aloe Vera Gel for Accelerated Wound Healing of Split-Thickness Skin Graft Donor Sites: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Controlled Trial and Systematic Review. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018;142(1):217-26.
21. Molazem Z, Mohseni F, Younesi M, Keshavarzi S. Aloe vera gel and cesarean wound healing; a randomized controlled clinical trial. Global journal of health science. 2015;7(1):203.
22. Chithra P, Sajithlal G, Chandrakasan G. Influence of Aloe vera on the healing of dermal wounds in diabetic rats. Journal of ethnopharmacology. 1998;59(3):195-201.
23. Chithra P, Sajithlal G, Chandrakasan G. Influence of Aloe vera on the glycosaminoglycans in the matrix of healing dermal wounds in rats. Journal of ethnopharmacology. 1998;59(3):179-86.
24. Li N. Meta analysis of the comparison of the effects between external application with Aloe vera and wet dressings with magnesium sulfate in the treatment of phlebitis. J Qilu Nurs. 2011;17:3-5.
25. Selamet F, Usman AM, Pamungkas RA. The Moisture Balance with Aloe Vera Gel in Diabetic Wound Healing. International Journal of Nursing and Health Services (IJNHS). 2018;1(1):21-3.
26. Seyedalshohadaee M, Rafii F, Hoseini A, Karimi H. Comparative study of the effect of dry and moist dressing on burn wound. Iran Journal of nursing. 2012;24(74):20-7.
27. Hekmatpou D, Mehrabi F, Rahzani K, Aminiyan A. The effect of aloe vera clinical trials on prevention and healing of skin wound: A systematic review. Iranian journal of medical sciences. 2019;44(1):1.
28. Eghdampour F, Jahdie F, Kheyrkhah M, Taghizadeh M, Naghizadeh S, Hagani H. The impact of Aloe vera and calendula on perineal healing after episiotomy in primiparous women: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of caring sciences. 2013;2(4):279.
29. Hekmatpou D, Mehrabi F, Rahzani K, Aminiyan A. The effect of Aloe Vera gel on prevention of pressure ulcers in patients hospitalized in the orthopedic wards: a randomized triple-blind clinical trial. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. 2018;18(1):1-11.
30. Nazari S, Ezati Arasteh F, Nazari S, Shobeiri F, Shayan A, Parsa P. Effect of Aloe Vera gel on perineal pain and wound healing after episiotomy among primiparous women: A randomized clinical trial. The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility. 2019;21(11):44-51.
|Issue||Vol 9 No 1 (2022): Winter|
|Aloe Vera gel; Nitrofurazone; burns; occlusive dressings; wound healing|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|