Transformational leadership and nurses’ satisfaction with their team: A cross-sectional study
Background & Aim: Leadership style influences nursing team satisfaction, impacting organizational behavior, performance, outcomes, and quality of nursing care. This study aimed to describe the relationship between transformational leadership and nurses' satisfaction with their teams.
Methods & Materials: A cross-sectional study with 95 participants enrolled by a snowball sample technique, using the Global Transformational Leadership Scale and the Group Satisfaction Scale for data collection, was developed. Quantitative data were analyzed with SPSS 26, and qualitative data were analyzed through conventional content analysis assisted by QDA Miner Lite 4.
Results: A statistically significant difference between the participants' length of service and Group Satisfaction and an association between Transformational Leadership and Group Satisfaction was found. Communication skills are highlighted by the participants as characteristics a leader should have.
Conclusion: Health organizations should value transformational leadership, especially nowadays, where health work environments are characterized by instability. Training leaders to assume this type of leadership is needed.
2. Lu H, Zhao Y, While A. Job satisfaction among hospital nurses: A literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2019 Jun 1;94:21-31.
3. Hoboubi N, Choobineh A, Ghanavati FK, Keshavarzi S, Hosseini AA. The impact of job stress and job satisfaction on workforce productivity in an Iranian petrochemical industry. Safety and Health at Work. 2017 Mar 1;8(1):67-71.
4. Dórdio Dimas I, Lourenço PR, Rebelo T. Escala de satisfação com o grupo de trabalho (esagt): construção e estudos de validação. Avances en Psicología Latinoamericana. 2018 Apr;36(1):197-210.
5. Locke EA. What is job satisfaction?. Organizational behavior and human performance. 1969 Nov 1;4(4):309-36.
6. Hanaysha J. Examining the effects of employee empowerment, teamwork, and employee training on organizational commitment. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2016 Aug 19;229:298-306.
7. James-Scotter M, Walker C, Jacobs S. An interprofessional perspective on job satisfaction in the operating room: a review of the literature. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2019 Nov 2;33(6):782-94.
8. Ferreira VB, Amestoy SC, Silva GT, Trindade LD, Santos IA, Varanda PA. Transformational leadership in nursing practice challenges and strategies. Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem. 2020 Aug 10;73.
9. Waldman DA, Javidan M. Alternative forms of charismatic leadership in the integration of mergers and acquisitions. The Leadership Quarterly. 2009 Apr 1;20(2):130-42.
10. Dimas ID, Alves M, Lourenço PR, Rebelo T. Equipas de trabalho: Instrumentos de avaliação. Lisboa, Portugal: Edições Sílabo, Lda. 2016.
11. Saleh U, O'Connor T, Al-Subhi H, Alkattan R, Al-Harbi S, Patton D. The impact of nurse managers' leadership styles on ward staff. British Journal of Nursing. 2018 Feb 22;27(4):197-203.
12. Moura AA, Bernardes A, Balsanelli AP, Zanetti AC, Gabriel CS. Leadership and nursing work satisfaction: an integrative review. Acta Paulista de Enfermagem. 2017 Jul;30:442-50.
13. Naseem S, Afzal M, Sehar S, Gilani SA. Relationship between leadership styles of nurse managers and staff nurses Job satisfaction in public hospital of Punjab, Pakistan. International Journal of Social Sciences and Management. 2018 Jul 27;5(3):201-8.
14. Abdelhafiz IM, Alloubani AM, Almatari M. Impact of leadership styles adopted by head nurses on job satisfaction: a comparative study between governmental and private hospitals in Jordan. Journal of Nursing Management. 2016 Apr;24(3):384-92.
15. Jankelová N, Joniaková Z. Communication skills and transformational leadership style of first-line nurse managers in relation to job satisfaction of nurses and moderators of this relationship. InHealthcare 2021 Mar 18;9(3):346.
16. Maziero VG, Bernardes A, Righetti EA, Spiri WC, Gabriel CS. Positive aspects of authentic leadership in nursing work: integrative review. Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem. 2020 Aug 7;73(6):e20190118.
17. Carless SA, Wearing AJ, Mann L. A short measure of transformational leadership. Journal of Business and Psychology. 2000 Sep;14(3):389-405.
18. Van Beveren P, Dimas ID, Lourenço PR, Rebelo T. Psychometric properties of the Portuguese version of the Global Transformational Leadership (GTL) scaleRevista de Psicología del Trabajo y de las Organizaciones. 2017 Aug 1;33(2):109-14.
19. Ordem dos Enfermeiros. Estatística de Enfermeiros - Ordem dos Enfermeiros. 2020. Available from: https://www.ordemenfermeiros.pt/estat%C3%ADstica-de-enfermeiros/. Accessed Dec 18, 2021
20. Dias-Silveira C, Teixeira-de-Bessa AT, Oroski-Paes G, Conceição-Stipp MA. Gestión del equipo de enfermería: factores asociados a la satisfacción en el trabajo. Enfermería Global. 2017;16(47):193-239.
21. Mondini CC, Cunha IC, Trettene AD, Fontes CM, Bachega MI, Cintra FM. Authentic leadership among nursing professionals: knowledge and profile. Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem. 2020 May 18;73(4):e20180888.
22. Abu Yahya O, Ismaile S, Allari RS, Hammoudi BM. Correlates of nurses' motivation and their demographic characteristics. Nursing Forum. 2019;54(1):7–15.
23. Moumouri S, Intas G, Sarafis P, Nikoletzos A, Triantafilloudis I, Bourantonis D, Stergiannis P. Leadership styles and job satisfaction of nursing staff in a peripheral general hospital in Greece: a survey. Health & Research Journal. 2021;7(3):109-22.
24. Demitras O, Karaca M, editors. A handbook of leadership styles. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing; 2020.
25. Carvalho LA, Thofehrn MB, Barlem EL, Nunes NJ. Ressignificating theory of professional links in nursing work. Escola Anna Nery. 2019 Dec 13;24(1):20190138.
|Issue||Vol 9 No 3 (2022): Summer|
|leadership; job satisfaction; nurses; nursing, team|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|